Learn how to break down a whole hog from butchery master Ryan Farr. Ryan will cover a range of topics and skills, including butchery, brining, sausage making, various cooking techniques, proper storage and more. Classes are small, hands-on and appropriate for all levels.
4505's Hog 101 class is not required for this class. This class is appropriate for complete beginners and intermediate butcherers. Six students will spend four hours breaking down one side of a whole hog.
- Roughly half of the portions will go to chops and roasts that we will prepare with spice rubs and brine
- The remaining half will be reserved for fresh cased sausage and a batch of salami. The salami will be prepared and left at the kitchen to cure and dry for 6 weeks. Once complete, students will be able to pick up their portion of the salami!
- We'll learn about general pig butchery, but will also delve further into the various applications of whole animal utilization
Students Go Home With
- Roughly 6 pounds of seasoned/brined chops and roasts
- Around 2 pounds of fresh cased sausage
- The salami will stay and cure at the kitchen for 6 weeks, upon which time students will be able to pick up their portion.
- A detailed brochure with a breakdown of cuts and corresponding cooking techniques and temperatures
- A recipe guide with additional spice rubs, brines, and sauces