Two ardent champions of contemporary composition, Maestro Salonen and violinist Leila Josefowicz have collaborated numerous times, and in fact, his Violin Concerto was composed for her.
A four movement work that covers a wide range of emotions, the piece, with its “brilliant surface and wonderful sound” (The New York Times), presents a vivid complement to the ever-reverberant sounds of Wagner as witnessed in excerpts from his unforgettable Ring cycle.
- Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
- Christine Brewer, soprano
- Leila Josefowicz, violin (pictured)
- San Francisco Symphony
- Sibelius--'Pohjola’s Daughter,' Opus 49
- Esa-Pekka Salonen--Violin Concerto
- Wagner--Orchestral excerpts from 'Der Ring des Nibelungen'